[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Developers cut number of turbines at proposed Saxby Wold wind farm  

Credit:  Scunthorpe Telegraph, www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk 2 February 2012 ~~

Developers have cut the number of turbines at a planned wind turbine project in the face of strong opposition from campaigners.

Plans for the Saxby Wold wind farm, being brought forward by RWE npower Renewables, are due to be discussed by North Lincolnshire Council’s planning committee on Wednesday, February 8.

Ahead of the meeting, the developer has revealed it has reduced the number of turbines from 18 to 16 in response to concerns about noise and proximity of the planned turbines to a bridleway.

The project has been fiercely opposed by the Saxby Wold Against Turbines pressure group since plans for it were first submitted in 2009 and permission has already been refused once by the council, in January last year.

RWE npower submitted a second planning application in July and bosses at the firm said the latest amendment came after they worked with the council to resolve issues regarding the turbines.

Mike Parker, the company’s head of onshore development, said: “We listened to the council and believe this change addresses the concerns raised.

“Throughout the planning process, we have made every effort to produce an application that is acceptable to both local people and councillors.

“We believe we have a strong application which is sensitively designed for its location and has the potential to provide major economic benefits.”

Peter Blake, 69, of Main Street, Saxby All Saints, said he was still against the wind farm project despite the modifications made by RWE npower.

He said: “My position remains as it always has been.

“I am against wind turbines in any context because as time and everything else has proved, they are not efficient.”

Mr Blake said he was pleased a date had been set for the planning application to be determined and hoped the decision would go in favour of objectors.

He said: “It should have been kicked out in the first place.

“They shouldn’t have been built then and the money should have gone on something else.”

And he said he felt reducing the number of turbines would not reduce the impact of the scheme on visual amenity.

He said: “I think it is a cynical ploy to say they are doing something about it, but whether it is 18 or 16, when you stand on that top, there is only one place you can get nice views.”

Planning officers at North Lincolnshire Council have recommended councillors on the committee refuse permission for the wind farm.

The meeting will be held at the Civic Centre in Ashby Road, Scunthorpe from 2pm on Wednesday, February 8.

Members of the public are welcome to attend.

Source:  Scunthorpe Telegraph, www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk 2 February 2012

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter