Villagers near Harlaston are preparing for a planning battle once again as an amended application for controversial wind turbines is rumoured to be on its way.
A new application is expected to be submitted to Lichfield District Council early next year, this time for two wind turbines, both smaller in height than those previously planned.
Villagers have now called an open meeting to discuss the scheme on December 10 at 10am in Harlaston Village Hall.
Power company Prowind withdrew their proposal to erect four wind turbine near Haunton in March, after Lichfield District Council recommended its refusal.
Prowind’s managing director, Johannes Busmann, said: “Whilst the original project was designed in full discussion with the consultees and was acceptable at the time, we feel we can now incorporate the officers’ concerns as well.
“Prowind are considering how to do this, whilst at the same time including provision for greater community financial involvement through opening the ownership of part of the scheme to local residents.”
Lichfield District Councillor Sue Arnold, for Mease and Tame ward, said this week: “We want as many residents at the meeting as possible. Harlaston and Clifton Campville’s parish councils, along with me, vehemently oppose the application.
“Whilst the new application attempts to overcome previous objections, it doesn’t detract from the visual and environmental impact on our beautiful villages.”
The new application will be for two turbines, 500kw each and 102 metres in height – 23m shorter than those previously proposed.
Other changes include that the turbines will be magnetic drive instead of gearbox to allow use in lighter wind, and that there will be no underground cabling to join the grid. Instead, existing telegraph pole low capacity overhead wires will be used.
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding