By Heather Wysocki, Cape Cod Times, www.capecodonline.com 29 October 2011
BOURNE – The four-turbine New Generation Wind project proposed for Bournedale will not get the recommendation of the Cape Cod Commission subcommittee reviewing it.
On Thursday, the five-member committee voted 4-0, with one abstention, to deny the proposed project to the full commission, regulatory officer Elizabeth Enos said.
Subcommittee members also voted, 3-2, that the possible detriments of New Generation outweighed the possible benefits, commission Executive Director Paul Niedzwiecki said.
The subcommittee will meet Wednesday to review its recommendation for a final time.
“The recommendation, I’m sure, will be to deny the project,” Niedzwiecki said.
Subcommittee members also voted Thursday that the project did not meet some of those standards, including some for hazardous materials and waste management, Enos said.
Subcommittee members were also concerned that the proposed project is in a wellhead and potential public water supply area, she said.
Last week, they voted that the proposed project does not meet a county standard that measures local benefit and demand.
Project backers were disappointed but not surprised at the outcome after last week’s vote, said Greg O’Brien, spokesman of the Stonybrook Group.
“The commission’s regional policy plan took a backseat to public opinion,” he said.
Throughout a series of subcommittee meetings in Bourne, the project faced vocal opposition. But there were also supporters whom subcommittee members seem not to have considered, O’Brien said.
The full commission will review New Generation on Nov. 10, Enos said.
URL to article: https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2011/10/29/bourne-wind-project-rebuffed/