ABILENE, Texas – Texas State Representative Susan King is speaking out about the fire on her Taylor County ranch that was sparked by a wind turbine.
Just after 10 o’clock Sunday night, Buffalo Gap, View and Ecca Volunteer Fire Departments responded to a fire at the Taylor County ranch of Texas House Representative Susan King.
They used eight trucks to quickly contain the fire to about 2 acres.
Monday, King said it’s that timely response that has her looking at how their services can be repaid.
“They leave their families in the middle of the night. They’re willing to do it for zero. They do assist them from time to time but in no way is it enough. I think with the drought we need to take a hard look at how we pay these people, not with their salaries, but paying for fuel or access to water and equipment,” said King.
Now, she’s looking into how she can take last night’s scary experience and shed light on what she calls “silence” in a very young energy sector.
“I’m watching a turbine on my land on fire, throwing fire balls on my property. I think it needs to be very clearly delineated: if you have property and machinery that is the source of a fire that damages someone land or uses someone’s resources who is responsible for the cost,” said King.
Volunteer fire departments do not bill for the cost of these types of accidents but always urge companies to donate.
KTXS spoke to Next Era Energy Monday who told us in a statement “We have supported each of these volunteer fire departments in the past financially to help them purchase needed equipment because we recognize the important work that they do.”
We wanted to find out more, so we asked Ecca Volunteer Fire Department about those donations, they told us that they haven’t gotten help from Next Era in about 4 years.