Two businessmen brothers from Bodmin have again been frustrated over their plan to erect a giant wind turbine on the outskirts of the town.
Graham and Ron Dingle have been battling for months with Cornwall Council to construct a 250ft-tall structure at Callywith Farm.
They thought the tide had turned last week when a planning officer backed the proposal after the brothers, who run an agricultural supply firm, offered to set up a scheme to provide cash to neighbouring communities from profits generated from the turbine’s electricity output.
However, Cornwall councillors, meeting in Liskeard, decided they were not satisfied with the details provided on the benefit scheme and again failed to make a decision.
The bid has been opposed by Cardinham Parish Council, Bodmin Town Council and the owners of the nearby Glynn Valley Crematorium on the grounds of visual intrusion.
Councillors were told the turbine would be within the Bodmin Moor Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and was therefore a contravention of planning policy.
The area’s Cornwall councillor, Mick Martin, told the East sub-area planning committee he backed Cardinham Parish Council’s objections.
“At the meeting the planning committee saw fit to defer the application because there was not enough information provided on how this community benefit scheme would work, and I totally endorse their democratic decision,” said Mr Martin.
Graham Dingle said he was pleased the council’s planning department was now supporting the wind turbine application, but was frustrated that a decision on the plan had again been deferred for at least another month.
“As far as we’re concerned, the councillors should have had all the information they required about the community scheme, which is likely to provide £30,000 in benefits, depending on how much electricity is generated,” he said, “but the committee said there wasn’t enough detail, even though their own planning officer is now 100 per cent behind the application.
“This has been going on for such a long time now, and we want to get this turbine up as soon as we can, but we’ll now have to wait until at least September 7 for the next committee meeting.
“The turbine’s in America, waiting to be delivered, and to have the application deferred again is very frustrating.”
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding