[ exact phrase in "" • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]


News Home

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links


Press Releases


Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics


Allied Groups

Ownership rules change for green projects  

Credit:  By BEVERLEY WARE, South Shore Bureau, The Chronicle Herald, thechronicleherald.ca 16 July 2011 ~~

CHESTER – The rules have changed for municipalities that want to get in on green energy projects.

The Community Feed-in Tariff program encourages community-owned renewable energy projects by guaranteeing a price per megawatt hour.

When announced, the program grouped municipalities in the same category as Mi’kmaq bands, co-operatives, universities, non-profits and community economic development organizations and said they must own at least 51 per cent of a project in order to qualify. The other 49 per cent could be held privately.

But that’s no longer the case.

“Right now they’re telling us we have to own 100 per cent of a project,” Chester Warden Allen Webber told municipal council this week after meeting with the province’s Department of Energy.

“It’s a game changer for us.”

Department spokeswoman Nancy Watson said it turns out the 51 per cent rule violates the Municipal Government Act “and the act trumps COMFIT regulations.”

That means municipalities must completely own windmill, biomass or tidal energy projects.

Watson said the province has agreed to extend Municipal Finance Corp. funding to such projects, which will give municipalities “access to capital at very low rates.”

Municipalities can still have a private partner design, build and operate the windmill but a private partner cannot have any ownership in the project, she said.

That was news to Rodrigo Moura of AnaiaGlobal Renewable Energies Inc., who appeared before Chester council this week. His company is a joint venture between Grupo Guascor of Spain and Membertou Corporate Division. It wants to form partnerships with municipalities across Nova Scotia to bring community-based wind energy to the province.

His company has already held public information sessions in Wedgeport and in West Jeddore, where it has proposed building wind farms.

Moura told Webber he would be going back to the Energy Department to double check the ownership rules.

“Personally, I would prefer the option of choosing whether or not we have a private-sector partner,” Webber said Friday.

The municipality has done some preliminary investigation of winds in the area but has not yet decided if it will build a wind turbine.

The province has only just started accepting applications under the community feed-in tariff program.

Windmills must be operational by December 2014.

A number of wind farms have begun popping up across Nova Scotia, most recently on Nuttby Mountain in Truro, Digby Neck and Church Point.

In Digby County, the municipality is amending its land-use bylaw to allow for this new class of windmill projects.

Community-scale turbines are slightly smaller than commercial types yet larger than personal-use windmills.

Source:  By BEVERLEY WARE, South Shore Bureau, The Chronicle Herald, thechronicleherald.ca 16 July 2011

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

The copyright of this article resides with the author or publisher indicated. As part of its noncommercial effort to present the environmental, social, scientific, and economic issues of large-scale wind power development to a global audience seeking such information, National Wind Watch endeavors to observe “fair use” as provided for in section 107 of U.S. Copyright Law and similar “fair dealing” provisions of the copyright laws of other nations. Send requests to excerpt, general inquiries, and comments via e-mail.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook


© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.