[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Cape Wind construction could start in fall  

Credit:  by Kyle Alspach, Boston Business Journal, www.bizjournals.com 19 April 2011 ~~

Construction on the Cape Wind offshore wind power project could start as early as the fall, according to an announcement Tuesday by Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar.

The announcement at the Charlestown Navy Yard said the federal Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement has approved a construction and operations plan for the 468-megawatt project. The plan is a prerequisite for the project, which would be built off Nantucket Sound and would be the country’s first major offshore wind farm.

The timeframe reported by the developer, Boston-based Cape Wind Associates, suggest the construction could begin in the fall, according to the announcement.

The project, however, lacks financing and must find a buyer for the remaining 50 percent of its power output. Utility National Grid has agreed to buy half of Cape Wind’s power at the first-year rate of 18.7 cents per kilowatt-hour, a rate which was approved by the state Department of Public Utilities last November.

Cape Wind also faces various legal challenges, including appeals by several opponents of the power rate and an appeal with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency of the plan to use a site in New Bedford as a staging area.

Meanwhile, Gov. Deval Patrick on Tuesday said his administration has requested that the federal government refine the area being considered for offshore wind energy development, to remove areas identified as vital to the state’s fishing industry. The request would remove from the federal leasing process about half of a 3,000-square-mile area in federal waters south of Massachusetts previously identified for wind power development, according to Patrick’s announcement.

There was no indication the request would affect the Cape Wind project.

Source:  by Kyle Alspach, Boston Business Journal, www.bizjournals.com 19 April 2011

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter