[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Perth County holding line on wind farms  

Credit:  By DONAL O’CONNOR, QMI Agency, www.lfpress.com 17 February 2011 ~~

STRATFORD – Perth County rejected a North Perth initiative Thursday and called for a moratorium on wind turbines until further impact studies have been completed.

County leaders still have questions about the provincially controlled wind turbines despite meeting with Environment Minister John Wilkinson earlier this month.

Warden Julie Behrns voted with the majority of council in opposing North Perth’s stand after council debated the issue yesterday.

Behrns’ position reflected the Western Wardens’ view that municipalities don’t want to get involved in hiring experts to deal with technical and health issues associated with turbines or assume liability in the event of mistakes.

Approvals and enforcement of turbine regulations should be in the hands of the province rather than municipalities, she suggested.

Councillors Meredith Schneider, Vince Judge and Bill French spoke in favour of a moratorium. Backing for North Perth’s resolution also came from Coun. Walter McKenzie.

“I feel we should have a lot more input in this field of planning,” said Schneider.

French acknowledged no projects have been approved as yet under the province’s latest regulations. Still, he supported putting a hold on projects until various issues are resolved.

“Let’s make sure they’ve got all their T’s crossed and I’s dotted so we aren’t left with the burden in our local municipalities,” he said.

Judge called on council to support North Perth’s appeal to the province, which he said would “put it on hold until at least we know what’s going on.”

“There’s too much confusion out there,” he said.

He cited projects in Arthur and in the Saugeen area.

Judge was not present for the presentation on wind turbines a couple of weeks ago by Wilkinson and a senior official from the MOE’s approvals office.

Councillors Ian Forrest and Bob McMillan expressed an opposing view.

[rest of article available at source]

Source:  By DONAL O’CONNOR, QMI Agency, www.lfpress.com 17 February 2011

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter