By Winnie Agbonlahor, Nottingham Post, www.thisisnottingham.co.uk 11 January 2011
A planning decision on controversial plans to put up wind turbines in Burton Joyce could be delayed until spring.
Severn Trent Water applied to Gedling Borough Council for permission for two turbines last March.
But Burton Joyce Parish Council submitted a detailed 200 page petition against the proposal in July.
A decision was anticipated in the autumn, but a planning committee date has been pushed back several times.
Steve Cluff, head of the parish council’s Wind Turbine Working Group, said: “There have been a significant amount of responses from residents within a five-mile radius of where the turbines would be and I think dealing with that has led to delays for the Gedling planning department.
“There have been a lot of objections from residents.
“It’s quite a complicated application and we don’t feel it was as complete as it should have been.”
Mr Cluff said one of the issues not considered properly in the application was flickering shadows being cast onto the playground of Carlton Le Willows School.
“Because there are two turbines they cause an epileptic flicker frequency and can cause seizures, which is worrying,” he said.
Councillor Tony Gillam, leader of the Liberal Democrat Group at Gedling Borough Council, said: “The residents who are opposing this scheme have done a very good job of raising questions that Severn Trent had not addressed.
“The proposed site is not a sensible place for wind turbines and the idea wouldn’t even have been suggested if the last government hadn’t offered a subsidy for power generation that has made it a profitable proposition for Severn Trent.
“There’s nothing wrong with the principle of a public subsidy for power generation as long as the generation is in the right place.”
A spokesman for Gedling Borough Council said the application raised complex planning issues and had attracted a substantial number of written representations from the public.
He added: “There is an ongoing dialogue between the council, the applicant’s representatives and statutory consultees to this effect, which means the application has not yet reached a stage where it is ready for determination.
“At this point in time, it is not unrealistic to anticipate a decision being made in spring.”
The turbines – which would be built on land to the west of Stoke Bardolph and south of Burton Joyce – have a blade span of up to 104m, but the company says it would consider smaller turbines if planners thought it appropriate.
Concerns previously raised by villagers include noise, contamination of the ground and fears over a potential closure of the Poplars Sports Ground in Station Road.
A spokeswoman for Severn Trent said the company was hopeful the report would go before the planning committee in February.
She added: “The results of a study into shadow flicker were submitted as part of the application and we are confident this will not cause a problem as we can inhibit the operation of the turbine in certain conditions so it does not occur.”
To view the planning application search for 2010/0289 on www.gedling.gov.uk.
To view the 200 page objection document visit www.burtonjoyceparishcouncil.org.
URL to article: https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2011/01/11/council-decision-on-burton-joyce-wind-turbine-plans-delayed-until-spring/