We looked at the following news with complete and utter disbelief.
27 July 2010: Department of Energy and Climate Change in UK:
• DECC has announced on 27 July that it will fund a new, independent analysis of matters arising in the consideration of noise impacts in the determination of wind farm planning applications in England. The contract for carrying out the work has been awarded to Hayes McKenzie Partnership, following a standard competitive tendering process.
• The project will seek to establish best practice in assessing and rating wind turbine noise by investigating previous planning inspectorate decisions, to ensure that the ETSU-R-97 guidance is applied in a consistent and effective manner. The project will not revisit ETSU itself. Results are expected around the end of the year.
Some definitions of Independent:
• free from external control and constraint; “an independent mind”; “a series of independent judgments”; “fiercely independent individualism”
• autonomous: (of political bodies) not controlled by outside forces; “an autonomous judiciary”; “a sovereign state”
• a neutral or uncommitted person (especially in politics)
• not controlled by a party or interest group
From Hayes McKenzie Partnership (HMP) website:
We specialise in noise from wind turbine developments and have acted as acoustic consultants on over 500 separate wind farm projects in the UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and the USA ranging from single turbines to sites comprising up to 300 turbines.
We have acted as the acoustic expert witness at Planning Inquiries for over 45 wind farms in England, Scotland and Wales.
We also gave evidence to the Welsh Affairs Select Committee with respect to noise issues related to wind farm developments and provided a significant proportion of the technical detail for the report of the DTI Working Group on Noise from Wind Turbines.
Projects Involving HMP
- ETSU R 97 The Assessment and Rating of Noise from Wind Farms 1997
- Member of Noise Working Group Malcolm Hayes
- The Measurement of Low Frequency Noise at Three UK Wind Farms 2006
- also known as “The Hayes McKenzie Report”
- Research into Aerodynamic Modulation of Wind Turbine Noise 2007 also known as “The Salford Report” co-authored by Malcolm Hayes of Hayes Mackenzie Partnership (HMP)
HMP: extract from SCIROCCO WIND TURBINE Report HM:1820/R1.1, 10th April 2007
1.2 … Our clients have included most of the major UK wind farm developers and have included many successful applications including those gained at Public Inquiry.
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding