[ exact phrase in "" • ~10 sec • results by date ]

[ Google-powered • results by relevance ]

LOCATION/TYPE

News Home
Archive
RSS

Subscribe to RSS feed

Add NWW headlines to your site (click here)

Sign up for daily updates

Keep Wind Watch online and independent!

Donate $10

Donate $5

Selected Documents

All Documents

Research Links

Alerts

Press Releases

FAQs

Publications & Products

Photos & Graphics

Videos

Allied Groups

Vice-convenor’s denial over wind farm meeting  

Angus Campbell, the vice-convenor of Western Isles Council, refuted accusations that he had spoken in favour of the Eishken wind farm before he had all the information prior to voting for approval.

Opponents believe that his evidence on the stand at a public inquiry into the development is at odds with an official submission he lodged with the inquiry reporter last month.

At the public inquiry on Tuesday, he challenged a line of questioning from local giant windfarm campaign group MWT suggesting that he had already concluded to support the controversial windfarm in advance of the actual council vote on approving planning permission.

Mr Campbell refers to a public meeting he attended in October 2004 in Balallan.

In a submission Mr Campbell indicated: “I spoke in support of the application” at public meetings in Balallan and in Pairc.”

When giving evidence on Tuesday he strongly denied speaking in support of application at the public meetings.

He corrected a verbal summary by inquiry reporter Janet McNair and stressed: “I did not speak at Balallan or at the Pairc open meeting at all.”

He said: “I went to speak to Kinloch and Pairc community councils over the level of community benefit – to maximise the level of community benefit for these communities.”

Mr Campbell said he was amongst a number of councillors who had been totally exonerated by the Standards Commission following a complaint over alleged bias by a wind farm opponent.

Last Wednesday Mr Campbell lodged a new submission document and the reference to his pre-support is omitted. Opponents at the inquiry agreed to accept it – and thus permit Mr Campbell to participate in the inquiry – apparently on the basis that they could ask questions on both documents. However, on Tuesday they were forbidden to refer to the first submission.

Mr Campbell was allowed to give evidence to the inquiry despite effectively being disqualified as his first submission focused on the original planning application. The council said the current proposal is a revised plan and the principles of both schemes are the same.

Hebrides News

20 May 2008

This article is the work of the source indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.

Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding
Donate $5 PayPal Donate

Share:


News Watch Home

Get the Facts Follow Wind Watch on Twitter

Wind Watch on Facebook

Share

CONTACT DONATE PRIVACY ABOUT SEARCH
© National Wind Watch, Inc.
Use of copyrighted material adheres to Fair Use.
"Wind Watch" is a registered trademark.
Share

Wind Watch on Facebook

Follow Wind Watch on Twitter