I attended the Cape Wind meeting on March 12 at the MVRHS. A Cape Wind member gave us an outline on how the project was going to work, including the decommissioning of the project when that time comes. The Cape Wind spokesman said everything they bring to Horseshoe Shoal would be removed. That would include the 80-plus barges of rocks the plan said they would be bringing to strengthen the bases of the turbine structures.
Correct me if I am wrong, as people spoke for and against the project, an opponent said he found in the Cape Wind plan, when it came to decommissioning the turbines, all they are required to do is cut the bases off six feet or more from the bottom of the ocean floor. That would leave all the barges of stone and 130 clumps of hazardous steel protruding out of the ocean floor, at 60 feet to 15 feet. Therefore mobile gear fishing (dragging) will never be able to take place on historic dragging ground for squid, sea bass, scup, fluke, flounder and other species.
Their shellfish assessment is so far from the truth. This along with whether the decommissioning is really going to happen makes me believe that the whole report and survey of Horseshoe Shoal are totally flawed. Especially flawed is the assertion that the total impact to all commercial fishermen would be $15 million total. One commercial fisherman will lose that alone. Is Cape Wind really worried about our atmosphere? If so, they must have solar panels on their houses and a hybrid car in the garage. I doubt it.
3 April 2008
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding