A public meeting called for today (Fri) to debate a wind farm in the Fens was cancelled after the consortium behind the project said they feared for their members safety if it went ahead.
Ian Robinson, spokesman for the Marshland Wind Farm, said anti wind turbine protestors had earlier in the day smashed windows at the home of one of the consortium members.
“All our members have picked up the rumour today of a possible disruption to tonight’s meeting and so therefore we took the decision to cancel it,” he said.
Mr Robinson said news of the attack came as he met with representatives from the German company involved with the consortium.
“I have to say I am embarrassed today to be British,” he said. “My guest from Germany is bewildered, too.”
Marshland Wind Farm Ltd (MWFL) wants to build 19 turbines on remote farmland between Marshland St James and Outwell.
Mr Robinson said the consortium would press ahead with their proposals and would not allow “this form of protest to become a template like the animal rights campaign.”
He added that police had promised “some protection” if the meeting went ahead but his colleagues felt they had a duty under health and safety legislation not to go ahead with it.
Mr Robinson refused to disclose which consortium member’s house had been vandalised “but it is a member of the Herbert family, and that’s all I am prepared to say. The family is coming under constant pressure, particularly at consultation meetings.”
The wind farm application has been surrounded in controversy and in May last year father-of-three Richard Herbert 47, who was part of the consortium, drowned himself in the Middle Level Drain.
An inquest recorded a verdict of suicide after hearing he had no history of mental illness, but had become anxious and depressed as protests mounted.
Members of Fenland Landscape Against Turbines (FLAT) are planning a public meeting at Marshland St James Jubilee Hall on Tuesday, March 25.
14 March 2008
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding