Norfolk villagers were celebrating last night after learning that plans to build a massive wind farm near their village had been scrapped.
Householders in Congham had set up an action group after they learned a major electricity supplier had shown an interest in building up to 26, 110m turbines on farmland off the B1153.
But now the action group has been told by the landowner, Michael Mason, that the project will not be going ahead,
Last night a spokesman for the Spanish wind turbine developers Iberdrola said the cancellation of the project had not been due to public pressure.
He said: “A feasibility study revealed issues which could not be overcome. The project has been cancelled.”
Mr Mason also sent a letter addressed to a committee member of the village action group, Against Congham Turbine (ACT), which said: “You’ll be very pleased to know, that after preliminary feasibility work, we have decided not to proceed with the proposed wind energy scheme at Congham.
“Our decision has been made for a number of reasons.”
Robin Tims, ACT secretary, said last night: “There were a lot of people in the village and surrounding villages who were against this and we are delighted it has been withdrawn.
“But we do not want to gloat, we welcome Mr Mason’s decision and we now just want to get back to normal.
“This is not just nimbyism, we really do believe wind turbines are ugly, unreliable and useless.”
Mr Tims said Norfolk was “under attack” from wind farm projects and he said that many committee members who had researched the effects of the turbines on health and the environment would now be offering to help fight other campaigns, locally and nationally.
A public meeting planned for Thursday July 6 has been cancelled and villagers have been advised to take down the anti-wind farm signs and stickers in the village.
Campaign groups have been set up across Norfolk in a bid to fight proposed wind turbine farms in the county.
Earlier this month it was revealed that a new wind farm could be built in the Swaffham area, increasing the number to more than 20.
The Stop Turbine Action Group has said Breckland Council must act now to impose tighter guidelines on new wind farm development to prevent the area from being overrun with turbines.
A war of words over plans to build a potential wind turbine farm in Marshland ended in tragedy after a member of the consortium behind the proposal was found dead in a Fenland drain.
The family of Richard Herbert, 47, said he had been worried about the future of the farming industry – and vowed to continue with plans to build a wind farm on farmland near Marshland St James, despite opposition from campaigners.
27 June 2007
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding