1. Audible Sound Limit.
a. No Wind Turbine or group of turbines shall be located so as to cause an exceedance of the pre-construction/operation background sound levels by more than 5 dBA or dBC. The background sound levels shall be the L90 dB sound descriptor (both A and C weighting) measured during a pre-construction noise study during the quietest time of evening or night. Measurements shall be for ten (10) minutes or more. L90 results are valid when L10 results are no more than 15 dB above L90 for the same time period. Noise sensitive sites are to be selected based on wind farm’s predicted sound emissions (in dBA, dBC and 1/3-octaves to blade passage frequency), which are to be provided by developer.
b. A 5 dB penalty is applied for pure tones or when the sound emissions fluctuate in amplitude or frequency over time in reasonable synchronicity with the blade revolution.
2. Inaudible (e.g., Low Frequency) Sound Limit.
a. Not to exceed dBC − dBA greater than 20 dB inside or outside any occupied structure.
3. General Clause.
a. Not to exceed 40 dBA or dBC within 100 feet of any occupied structure.
L. Setbacks. Setbacks shall be measured from the outermost edge of the closest of the circular path of the wind turbine rotor blade. The Town Board may increase the following minimum setbacks on a case-by-case basis, in order to protect public health and safety.
1. Participating Property Line: 1.1 times the total height of the Wind Turbine from the nearest property line of a participating property owner.
2. Non-participating Property Line: Five (5) times the rotor diameter but not less than 1,300 feet from the nearest property line of a non-participating property, unless the owner of the non-participating property grants an easement for a lesser setback. The easement must be recorded with the County Register of Deeds and may not provide for a setback that is less than 1.1times the total height of the Wind Turbine.
3. Public Roads and Highways: 1,300 feet or three (3) times the total height of the Wind Turbine, whichever is greater.
4. Above Ground Power/Telephone Lines: 1,300 feet or three (3) times the total height of the Wind Turbine, whichever is greater, from the nearest above-ground public electric power line or telephone line.
5. Residences & Other Buildings: 2,640 feet from the nearest residence, business, school, daycare facility, church, hospital and other sensitive receptors.
6. Wetlands: 1,000 feet from all sinkholes and wetlands.
7. Water Bodies Setbacks: 1,300 feet from the ordinary high water mark of all navigable water bodies.
8. Parks & Public Property: 2,640 feet from any town, county or state park, property, recreational or rest area.
Download original document: “Wilton, Wisc., Wind Ordinance” (PDF)
Download original document: “Ridgeville, Wisc., Wind Ordinance” (Word document)
This article is the work of the author(s) indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding