CONCLUSIONS: The physiological and psychological effects of infrasound (2.14Hz 110dB and 4.10 Hz 1200 dB) on persons are summarized as follows:
- Being exposed to infrasound, a person feels headachy, fretful and tired.
- Infrasound can cause the changes of blood pressure and heart rate.
- In the infrasound condition with 4.10 Hz and 120 dB for over 1 hour, systolic pressure and heart rate of most subjects rose with the exception that the dias- tolic pressure of some subjects fell.
- In the infrasound condition with 2.14 Hz, 110 dB for over 1 hour, systolic pressure and diastolic pressure of subjects rose. But heart rate of some subjects rose and others fell.
- Different individuals have different responses to infrasound and the change ratio of blood pressure and heart rate are also different.
- By comparing physiological and psychological effects of infrasound on persons in two different infrasound conditions, we find that there are not obvious differences.
- Studying the relationships between the physiological and psychological effects of infrasound and the frequency and pressure level of infrasound is very necessary.
Chen Yuan Huang Qibai and Hanmin Shi
School of Mechanical Science & Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Journal of Low Frequency Noise, Vibration and Active Control, Vol. 23, No. 1, Pages 71–76, 2004
Download original document: “An Investigation on the Physiological and Psychological Effects of Infrasound on Persons ”