Cullerin Range Wind Farm was developed by Epuron and transferred to Origin who completed construction and operation began in July 2009. The wind farm consists of 15 2MW REpower turbines, each tower reaching to around 80 metres with turbine blades of 46 metres [total height 414 feet].
Local residents have complained of noise and other disturbing impacts from the wind farm since operation began in July 2009.
The Cullerin Range Wind Farm Survey from August 2012 found a large percentage of residents out to 7.5km were being adversely affected by the noise and vibration created by the industrial wind turbines of the Cullerin Range wind farm.
This follow-up survey sought to find out if affected residents had complained and if so what was the outcome.
An anonymous self-reporting survey, map with distance bands indicated so households could establish how far they actually resided from the turbines and a letter of introduction explaining why the survey was being conducted were hand delivered to all households within or near a 10km zone of the Cullerin Range wind farm. Each survey was individually numbered to avoid tampering.
Out of 100 surveys delivered out to 10+km 25 were completed.
A total of 35 surveys where delivered out to 10km with 24 (68.5% completed)
There were no residents past 8km affected by noise and vibration.
Of the households affected:
- 20% were within 0-2 kilometres with a total of 8 people affected (100% of those within this distance)
- 30% were within 2-5 kilometres with a total of 18 people affected (90% of those within this distance)
- 50% were within 5-8 kilometres with a total of 23 people affected (92% of those within this distance)
- 87.7% of affected residents complained of day time noise 91.8% of affected residents complained of other disturbances during the day time
- 100% of affected residents complained of night time noise
- 87.7% of affected residents complained of other disturbances during the night time
- 100% of affected residents reported sleep disturbance
- 100% of sleep disturbed residents complained of disturbance between 3-7 nights a week
- 100% of affected residents have lodged complaints.
Download original document: “Cullerin Range Wind Farm Survey Follow-Up, July-August 2013”
This material is the work of the author(s) indicated. Any opinions expressed in it are not necessarily those of National Wind Watch.
The copyright of this material resides with the author(s). As part of its noncommercial effort to present the environmental, social, scientific, and economic issues of large-scale wind power development to a global audience seeking such information, National Wind Watch endeavors to observe “fair use” as provided for in section 107 of U.S. Copyright Law and similar “fair dealing” provisions of the copyright laws of other nations. Send queries to query/wind-watch.org.
|Wind Watch relies entirely
on User Funding