This law banning large-scale wind turbines was approved Feb. 20, 2008.
1. While wind energy is a potential renewable, nonpolluting energy resource of the Town and its conversion to electricity by indiviual property owners may reduce dependence on nonrenewable energy sources, the potential benefits must be balanced against potential impacts from large scale wind energy systems.
2. Regulatin of the siting and installation of wind turbines is necessary for protecting the health, safety, and welfare of neighboring property owners and the general public.
3. Wind Energy Facilities represent significant potential aesthetic impacts because of their large size, lighting, and shadow flicker effects.
4. Installation of Wind Energy Facilities can create drainage problems through erosion and lack of sediment control for facility sites and access roads, and harm famrlands through improper construction methods.
5. Wind Energy Facilities may present a risk to bird and bat populations.
6. Wind Energy Facilities may present risks to the property values of adjoining property owners.
7. Wind Energy Facilities may be significant sources of noise, which, if unregulated, can negatively impact adjoining properties, particularly in areas of low ambient noise levels.
8. Construction of Wind Energy Facilities can create traffic problems and damage local roads.
9. Wind Energy Facilities can interfere with various types of communications.
10. The Town has many scenic viewsheds which would be negatively impacted by Wind Energy Facilities.
SMALL WIND ENERGY CONVERSION SYSTEM (“Small WECS”) – A wind energy conversion system consiting of a wind turbine, a tower, and associated control or conversion electronics, which has a rated capacity of not more that 10 kW, is not more that 80 feet in Total Height, and which is primarily intended to reduce on-site consumption of utility power.
§6. Facilities Permitted.
B. No WECS other than a Small WECS shall be constructed, reconstructed, modified, or operated in the Town of Brandon. No Wind Measurement Tower shall be constructed, reconstructed, modified, or operated in the Town of Brandon.
Small Wind Energy Conversion Systems …
Download original document: “Brandon Local Law No. 1 of 2008: Wind Energy Facilities ”