The following energy-saving suggestions come from the state government of Victoria, Australia.
1. Install or top up insulation in ceiling.
2. Switch off the second fridge.
3. Take shorter showers – keep them under 5 minutes instead of the 8-minute average.
4. Switch appliances off at the power point wherever possible.
5. Set thermostat to 64-68°F in winter and above 78°F in summer.
6. Wash clothes in cold water.
7. Close off areas that don’t need heating in winter.
8. Replace standard lightbulbs with energy-efficient (compact fluorescent) lightbulbs in hish-use areas.
9. Seal drafts and gaps around external doors and windows.
10. Switch off lights when not needed.